Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Crosswords of the Day, 8/4/2009

This is going to be short and sweet.

The NYT had a cute but kind of weird theme that featured OBAMA backwards in phrases, like dreAMABOut. It was for Obama's birthday, but of course, having his name backwards doesn't seem like a great tribute or anything. Oh well. **1/2 stars for an OK theme and some kind of strange fill, including my least favorite of the day.

The LAT had a very pleasant baseball theme that actually took me a while to figure out for some strange reason. I had to get almost all of the answers on the left side of the theme before I broke it and then sped through it. Just a pleasant, not particularly noteworthy in any way. ***1/2.

Winner: The LAT. It had a better theme and was totally fun to do. Also, it was randomly challenging for me to figure out, which was a pleasant surprise.

Favorite clue: This is really pushing it, as there really wasn't great fill today. I mean, I guess JAMPACK for "Fill to capacity and then some" from the NYT is good. That's about as exciting as it gets.

Least favorite clue: This one's easy. This is also from the NYT. "Street caution near a school." Get ready. SLO. Yes, I spelled that right; it's without the W. My only response is...uh, no. That's just not right. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment