Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sandwich 84: Chopped Liver Sandwich from 2nd Avenue Deli



2nd Avenue Deli has a long history in New York, long enough that it's no longer located on 2nd Avenue!  As soon as I walked in, I knew I was going to like it just because of the smells and the deli decor, but also because both people that interacted with me there called me "brother" and one gave me a hearty pat on the shoulder.  It took me a little bit to realize they were referring to me as a fellow Jew; it was awkward but kind of cool; I guess they don't get many Jews in there nowadays(?).  Anyhow, I ordered the sandwich, and it took a little while to get, but when I got back to the office and took it out of the wrapping, I understood why it took a little while:


That is A TON of chopped liver, easily the most I've ever seen on one sandwich.  And, guess what, the chopped liver was absolutely delicious: rich, thick, fresh-tasting.  It's been a while since I had an excellent chopped liver sandwich, but I can't remember one that was better than this, and dare I say it, I think I liked this chopped liver more than the liver at Barney Greengrass.  It's expensive (thirteen bucks), but this is a rare moment where I think the cost is worth it.  4.2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment