Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ratatouille: A Second Viewing

I just watched the Pixar film Ratatouille on DVD, and I'm extremely glad I did. When I saw it in theaters on opening day, I somehow found it remarkably inconsistent. I thought the middle dragged considerably, and that some of the voice acting was really off. I loved parts of it, especially the last thirty minutes or so, but the rest I found to be of scattered quality. Overall, I liked the short Lifted that aired before the film more than the film itself.

However, I had a feeling that I would like Ratatouille way more the second time I watched it, and I was right. I adored the movie this time around. I can't explain it. Maybe it was because the part I thought dragged in theaters wasn't as magnified and didn't feel as long on a small screen, or maybe I'm a little older and wiser. Whatever the case, it was fantastic this time; the voice acting didn't bother me at all, and the pacing and quality level felt totally consistent. Great, great movie.

Also, if you haven't yet, make sure to check out the DVD, which has the aforementioned short Lifted (my hands-down favorite short Pixar has done) and the Academy Award winning short Your Friend The Rat, which is zany and beautiful to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment