Friday, February 6, 2009

The Cost of Living in New York City

Well, this isn't exactly shocking, but still humbling.

I am seriously considering moving back to New York in a little while, but have to come to terms with the fact that there is no way I could possibly live in Manhattan, in any capacity. The cost of living there is so outrageous, especially compared to other places in the United States (like virtually everywhere else), as you can see from the article above. I have two good friends living in Brooklyn right now, and while they're not exactly living in luxury, they have a decent sized kitchen, two bedrooms, and peace and quiet from living in a small neighborhood. I'll almost certainly go that route, depending of course on where I end up working. But still, what a ridiculous situation New York is in at the moment. It is actually losing its middle class, which can never be good.

1 comment:

  1. Awww bubby. Just find some roommates, live in a duplex in Brooklyn somewhere. I mean half of SLC has managed to do it! I totally want to move away from here, but if I do I'll end up in Tokyo which is like the NYC of Japan only worse. There you live in a three mat tatami room and have to pee in your kitchen... wait you have to do that here too damn. XD Guess that won't be much different for me. :-p

    ReplyDelete