Sunday, February 8, 2009

Music Recommendation: M83

I know I'm way behind the hipster curve with this recommendation, but I know most people that are reading this won't care. :)

M83 are a French "group" (I put that in quotes because it used to be a duo, but one of them left and now it's really one guy, Anthony Gonzalez, and a bunch of guests) that specialize in making music that sounds like it comes straight from 1984. However, the key to why they're so great, besides Gonzalez being an excellent songwriter, is that this is music made with hindsight, so it contains all of the best aspects of the 80s (wonderful melodies, innovative use of synthesizers, intentional campiness, terrific rhythm) with none of the cheesiness that so often marred eighties groups.

The album to pick up is Saturdays = Youth, which came out last year to rave reviews. It took a while to grow on me, but I haven't been able to stop listening to it lately. If you decide to pick it up, get the iTunes version, which has a great bonus track. Here are my two favorite songs from the album, in video form:

Graveyard Girl



Kim And Jessie (unfortunately an edit to make it a single, but you'll get the idea)

No comments:

Post a Comment