Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Onion on Action Figures

Action Figure Fights On Despite Loss of Dragon Sword

I fondly remember action figures. As an only child growing up, I was often all alone in my room with no one to play with, and my favorite activity besides reading was playing with action figures. My main villain was Magento from X-Men, and my hero was some miscellaneous good guy much like Huntarr in the article. I created epic battles, made up ridiculous psychological traumas when something broke (I still remember making Wolverine, who lost an arm, hesitant to enter battle because of the memories of his missing limb), and came up with grudges, rivalries, and events after which "nothing would be the same." I was basically a bad comic book writer at five years old.

But, in thinking about it right now, action figures were actually huge in developing my sense of imagination. Sure, I had an internal logic that would have made sense to no one but me, but who cares?! The fact that there even was an internal logic is amazing enough. Thumbs up to action figures, especially if those thumbs fell off during a duel for justice! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment