Monday, February 23, 2009

Music Recommendation: Early Del Amitri (Waking Hours, Change Everything)

This is an out of nowhere music recommendation, but I've been so blown away by these two albums lately that I feel compelled to share. :)

I had the famous Del Amitri song "Roll to Me" in my head on Friday, and went on YouTube to listen to it. I then saw other Del Amitri videos, listened to them, and got amazed at their high quality level, especially their early material. I then remembered from somewhere deep down in my memory that a friend whose musical taste I trust had told me once that Waking Hours, Del Amitri's second album (but really their first in terms of their pop sound; their first album is just a dull alt-rock album), was one of the all time great pop albums, and had some of the best relationship songs ever. So I ended up buying it, and agree with him. However, I also decided to purchase their third album, Change Everything, and like it even more. I've been playing both albums non-stop over the weekend.

Both albums sound quite similar, although Change Everything has a more polished sound to me, and has one of the best track sequences I've ever heard on an album (it reminds me a bit of The Joshua Tree, where the track order is just perfect, especially the first three songs). The lyrics are also surprisingly deep and insightful regarding relationships; it reminds me of Crowded House, with similar pretty melodies. Both albums also feature a really neat country side to them throughout, with perfectly arranged banjos, slide guitars, and harmonicas being a part of almost every song.

Del Amitri are Scottish, but sound very American. If they had been an American band, I think they might have been huge here, instead of being a more or less one hit wonder with Roll to Me (they had other singles here, but none very successful). If you like smart lyrics, beautiful pop melodies, and great arrangements and production, then I cannot recommend these two albums enough.

My discovery of my love for Del Amitri has also made me realize that my favorite pop records tend to come from the United Kingdom, in particular Scotland and Ireland. Frightened Rabbit, Del Amitri, Big Country, U2, and The Waterboys are all bands who have put out albums I deeply love. Also, Australia/New Zealand doesn't do too badly either what with Crowded House and INXS, to name a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment