Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sandwich 101: Tuna Melt on Rye from Eisenberg's

For context, click here.






Eisenberg's is less than ten minutes from where I work on Fifth Avenue.  Walking into it is utterly surreal; it's a tiny, narrow diner, clearly from a far-gone era.  The menus look like they haven't been updated or changed in thirty years, the cashier, a sweet woman in probably her 70s, looks like she's worked there forever, and there's more counter space than available tables.  The prices, while not cheap, are more than reasonable, and the people eating there all looked like long-time regulars.  At first, everyone was staring at me a little bit when I walked in, but as soon as I ordered the tuna melt on rye, the first sandwich on the list, everything returned to normal.  I had chosen correctly.

I had a feeling it was going to be good when it took quite some time to get the sandwich (I actually ordered two, one for myself and one for my fabulous office mate Nicole), and the sandwich did not disappoint.



Not the greatest picture, I know, but I'll get better.  It wasn't that impressive to look at anyways.  The taste is what mattered here, and let me tell you, it was a damn fine tuna melt.  There was nothing spectacular about it, but the tuna and cheese were top-notch, and what struck me about the sandwich was that it was very balanced; you could taste each ingredient equally with every bite.  It was also a perfectly proportioned sandwich; I felt completely satisfied afterwards without feeling overly full.  Overall, a very solid sandwich, and a great start to the journey.  Also, the pickles included with the sandwich were delish.  I'd eat it again.  3 out of 5.

Tomorrow: The Elvis!

1 comment:

  1. I co-sign that Michael!!! Proper! LOL

    -Your fabulous office mate Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete