Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sandwich 98: Turkey Sandwich from Roll n Roaster


This sandwich took some serious commitment from both myself and my wonderful girlfriend Jeni, as we both braved a 45 minute subway ride and a twenty minute walk in the pouring rain (and TWO broken umbrellas during that walk) to make it to Roll N Roaster, in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.  When we walked in, I had a feeling the long trip was going to be worth it, as the smell of fried corn and roast beef hit me as soon as I opened the door, and the people eating in the front room gave us good long stares, like what often happens when someone new walks into an establishment full of regulars.  I walked up to the counter, and the cashier could instantly tell that I was new in town.  Again, I knew I was doing the right thing when I ordered two sandwiches, one roast beef (for Jeni) and one turkey (the one on the list), corn fritters, a baked sweet potato, sweet potato fries (for Jeni), and a (homemade) lemonade, and she grinned and nodded.  Clearly I'd been informed well on what to get.  And it lived up to being "fast food," as it took all of five minutes to get our order.


I'm sorry that I didn't think to take pictures of the sides, but here are the two sandwiches.  And how were they?  OH.  MY.  GOODNESS.  These were without question the best sandwiches I've had so far on this adventure.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them.  I had to focus on the turkey, as it was the sandwich from the list, so I only took a couple of bites from the roast beef, but it was perfectly cooked and filling and had Cheez Whiz as a topping, which was to die for.  My sandwich, the roast turkey, was delicious in a different way.  My roll was lightly dipped in some sort of yummy gravy, and the turkey was absolutely delicious and cooked perfectly as well.  Mine also had Cheez Whiz on it, and while the roll was ever so slightly too dry to complement the turkey perfectly, it was still one of the most satisfying sandwiches I've ever had.  While the roast beef was just a damn delicious sandwich, the turkey had an extra dimension of tasting exactly like Thanksgiving, with the gravy, bread, turkey, and the sweet potato on the side.  For less than five bucks for each sandwich, this is one of the best values I'm aware of in NY.

I also need to comment on the sides.  They were out of this world good, arguably better than the sandwiches.  The corn fritters had a wonderful strong corn flavor, and the sweet potato was possibly the best baked sweet potato I've ever had, with PERFECT seasoning: cinnamon and brown sugar baked right in.

So again, the best sandwich so far, and a place I NEED to go back to with a bunch of friends so I can try everything on the menu.  4.6 out of 5.


Money quote from the night:

Jeni: So do you have lettuce, tomato, that kind of stuff?

Cashier:  Oh no, we don't have that stuff.  Just cheese and grilled onions.

Definitely my kind of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment