Monday, June 14, 2010

Sandwich 93: Bombay Pav Vada from Sukhadia's



Sukhadia's is in the heart of one of my least favorite areas of New York, namely the area right around Grand Central.  There are endless tourists and depressed-looking businessmen, and the restaurants in the area tend to, for lack of a better word, suck (there is a huge exception to this general rule: Riki, an awesome Japanese bar-food place about five minutes away from Grand Central that I go to at least once every two weeks).  When I walked into Sukhadia's, I was not encouraged.  It was right around noon, and it was a huge space, and there was no one inside.  The cashier, who was also the person who made my sandwich, took a while to even acknowledge me.  But once he did, he was extremely friendly, actually explained the sandwich to me, and recommended I try the hot sauce on it, which made me feel a bit better.  It took a very short amount of time to get the sandwich, and while it was small, I was intrigued.  I was even more intrigued when I opened up the package in the office...


Notice the awesome juxtaposition of the green Yankees hat and the green chutney sauce.  There is an important thing to know about this sandwich: it is totally vegetarian, as is all the food at Sukhadia's.  Inside the sandwich, there were two deep-fried potato and garlic balls.  I'm not really sure what the bun is, but it was yummy.  In fact, the whole sandwich was pretty great.  The potato balls were delicious, as was the chutney sauce.  The sauce was perfectly spiced; it wasn't overwhelmingly hot, but it still packed a punch and was quite tasty.  For a small sandwich, it was extremely filling; I don't know what they deep-fried the potato balls in, but I had some serious heartburn for a couple of minutes after finishing the sandwich, but it was worth it.  For four bucks, this is a great deal, especially in such a tourist trap area with inflated prices all around.  3.7 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment