Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sandwich 91: Cheesesteak from 99 Miles to Philly


99 Miles to Philly, which really is a cool name for a restaurant, is so named because of a MapQuest printout with directions from the address of the restaurant to a central location in Philadelphia that show that indeed, it is pretty much exactly 99 miles from those two points on the map.  This place is ten minutes away from my work, and clearly caters to a college crowd; it was oddly empty at noon, but stays open until at least one in the morning most nights, and basically serves up nothing but medium-priced sandwiches and fries.

The sandwich for today was, of course, a Philly Cheesesteak.  This was a situation where I honestly wasn't sure exactly what the list meant for what exact sandwich to order.  At 99 Miles to Philly, you can greatly customize your sandwich beyond the basics of cheese, steak, and onions.  The price listed in the list was $6.95, which was the base price of the sandwich without any customization, but the ingredients were very different from the basic cheesesteak, and would have cost more.  I ended up asking the guy behind the counter what he recommended, and he said a basic sandwich with provolone cheese should do the trick.  I followed his lead and got this:


I had a similar experience with this sandwich to the one I had with yesterday's sandwich, the pulled pork sandwich from Dickson's.  There was nothing inherently wrong with it, and the meat was quite tasty, but there was just nothing exciting about it, and I've had much better cheesesteaks, both in New York and in Los Angeles.  I should point out here that I ended up getting the combo of waffle fries and a drink with it, and the waffle fries were top-notch.  My co-worker Nicole and I devoured them in no time.  Anyhow, 3.4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment